About Us …
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ we welcome you to Zion. Since 1840 the people called Methodist have worshiped here. It is our hope that you will experience the love of Christ through our church family. Our day of worship begins at 9:00am with Sunday School for all ages and our Worship service begins at 10am.
Our church has a heart for service. We seek to serve God through service projects for local families, meals for the homeless shelter, Operation Christmas Child, The Children’s Home, Red Cross Blood drives, Carolina Cross Connection, and other activities that further God’s work through us.
Our History …
Zion Church was founded in 1840 by John W. and Matilda R. Love on land transferred from J. M. Hagler and Henry T. Long on May 25, 1874. The parcel was bought for $13. The cemetery already existed on the land at the east end where slaves were buried in unmarked graves.
Zion was in Mecklenburg County until Union County was formed in 1842.
The era was peak time for Camp Meetings and Zion was one of the camp meeting sites started by Methodist Circuit Riders. Campground facilities, an arbor and a church building sat in the middle of what is now the west end of the cemetery.
The church building was later moved to where the “New Life Center” is now, and was replaced by the present sanctuary in 1940.
A bell tower which stands in the middle of the cemetery was erected in 1924 in memory of W. A. Love, son of the founders of the church. The bell rang on Sundays to announce worship time and during the week to announce funerals and community events.
Zion was organized as a part of the S. C. Conference in 1939 and with the uniting of branches of the Methodist Church in 1968 became ZION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.
The 1940’s and 50’s were very active years for the church. “Children’s Day Programs” were held on the last Sunday in June, Methodist Youth Fellowship was organized by Vance Clontz and Methodist Women was started with Melissa Kindley as the first President.
Zion had its first Vacation Bible School in 1954 and this event has become a very influential part of our church program in spiritual growth as well as Christian fellowship.
Under the leadership of D. K. Love, Baucom Memorial Hall was built in 1958 adding a fellowship hall downstairs and Sunday school rooms upstairs.
In 1998 our “New Life Center” was dedicated, adding an up to date kitchen, addition bathroom facilities and a larger multipurpose room.
Since the year 2000, Zion has become a station church, and under the supervision of David Tucker has built a new parsonage on Unionville Brief Road. The trustees have led in the projects of new windows in the sanctuary and , paving the parking lot and the driveway around the cemetery.
Zion continues to be active in missions thru the churches involvement with the “Union County Community Shelter” and our “Red Cross” Blood drives. The youth of our church are also involved in “Carolina Cross Connection”.
Under its present day leadership and by the grace of our Lord, we pray that Zion will continue to be a place of spiritual enrichment.